JSF Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB)
FHWA Reapproves use of the RRFB
On March 20, 2018, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Reapproved Use of Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFB). This is great news for the entire ITS industry. See the full approval letter HERE.
How do I request MUTCD approval for installation?
You will need to draft an RRFB approval (IA-21) letter and request installation from the MUTCD. To help streamline the process for you please follow these five easy steps.
1) View and download a copy of the request letter HERE.
2) Copy the text from the example from letter and paste it onto your agencies letterhead.
3) Replace sections in RED with details pertaining to your agency.
4) Email the completed request letter to MUTCDofficialrequest@dot.gov
5) Fill out our Contact Us form to get more information on RRFBs and full crosswalk solutions.
The JSF Advantage
The JSF RRFB (Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon) is the perfect solution to increase safety at mid-block or uncontrolled crosswalks. This cabinet-free RRFB system boasts a discrete design to enhance streetscapes and inhibit vandalism. Temporary or permanent pedestrian activated or remote-activated crossings. The Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons conform to the FHWA Interim Approval Memorandum (1A-11) utilizing SAEJ595 Class 1 Certified LED lights and MUTCD Flash Patterns.
- Choose from 2" x 5" or 3" x 7" LED module configurations.
- Single or dual sided light bars available with side mounted tell-tale LED verification.
- Wireless IMS communication up to 110 yards (100m).
- FHWA and MUTCD compliant.
- Self-contained, discrete design to enhance streetscapes and inhibit vandalism.